The History of Fagan & Whalley
It all began with a horse-drawn cart…
From 1927…
Like many businesses in the road transport industry, Fagan & Whalley Ltd began as a small company, completing deliveries in local villages with a horse-drawn cart.
That was in 1927. Six generations and over nine decades later, we have a fleet of over 170 vehicles, over 250,000 sq. ft. of warehousing, and we still retain all of the determination, spirit, and drive that our founders had in establishing the business all those years ago.
We’re incredibly proud of our rich heritage, which is kept alive today in the way that we value our customers, and in the family-run aspect of our business, and we continue to work hard in building long-standing relationships with our clients, incorporating our core values into every aspect of our work.
Our first photographed truck, a Model T Ford, made Fagan & Whalley history.

Thomas & Elizabeth Whalley with son-in-law, Samuel Fagan, and daughter, Mary Elizabeth.

Thomas Whalley, Harry Fagan and Sam Fagan before the King George V Silver Jubilee Parade, Hapton.

The F&W fleet and drivers were photographed. Right to left: Geoff Fagan, Harry Fagan, Frank Coxill, Bill Leaming, Ted Rogers, Bill Smith & Frank Horrocks.

Our own Geoff Fagan was photographed in Walsden, near Todmorden, whilst out delivering cases of empty weft spools, all loaded by hand.

Our Hapton site was photographed just before it was demolished to make way for the M65 motorway.

The new Hapton depot opened (photo taken 1990).

We gained the BS 5750 quality certification, the precursor of ISO:9001.

We extended our trailer yard at the Hapton depot.

Construction began on our site at Shuttleworth Mead, Padiham.

Our Shuttleworth Mead depot in Padiham was completed.

We became a founding member of the Palletforce network.

We opened an extra 30,000 st ft. warehouse at our Shuttleworth Mead depot in Padiham (pictured, top right).

We celebrated our 85th anniversary!

We opened our Coventry depot - a central spot in our operation.

We were proud to become an active member of the Burnley Bondholders.

The F&W Professional Training department opened for business!

We gained a BRCGS certification.

We moved into our new head offices at Albion House on Shuttleworth Mead Business Park.

We welcomed Albert, the 1952 Albion Chieftain, into our headquarters at Albion House.

We welcomed Doris into our fleet as part of our 90th anniversary celebrations - the first Scania next-generation "S" cab to become a F&W vehicle.

Our 92,000 sq. ft. purpose-built Burnley Bridge warehouse opened.

We joined the UK Warehousing Association.

We gained the Soil Association Organic Standard certification.

We carried out a company restructure and expanded our board of directors.

We acquired an additional facility at Frontier Park, Blackburn, to expand our warehousing capacity by over 200,000 sq. ft.

Our Future-Bound Scheme launched, with the aim to make transport careers more accessible.

We expanded our operations with the acquisition of Newport-based haulier, Alan R Jones & Sons Ltd, securing a strategic base for the provision of services across the South.
